Discover Morocco’s fascinating blue city, the vibrant Fes and Northern Morocco on this Fes and Chefchaouen tour from Tangier.
This epic 5 days Fes and Chefchaouen tour from Tangier north Morocco, will kindle your historic and cultural spirit. Visit the captivating city of Tangier, it’s Medina, the legendary Caves of Hercules and the promontory of Cap Spartel at the entrance to the Straights of Gibraltar. Here there is a convergence of the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. You will be enchanted to explore the blue pearl city of Morocco, Chefchaouen, the world’s 6th most beautiful city.
During this Fes and Chefchaouen tour from Tangier, you will visit the legendary ancient Moroccan Imperial Cities of Fes and Meknes, also the Roman ruins of Volubilis. There will be an exhilarating journey over the awe-inspiring Rif Mountains with its world of beautiful Berber folk and the stunning landscapes.
“ Please click on each section below so that the details of each day of this 5 days Fes and Chefchaouen tour from Tangier will appear ”
Day 1: Arrival in Tangier » city tour :
• On the 1st day of your 5 days Fes & Chefchaouen tour from Tangier, you will meet your Grand Morocco English speaking guide driver at Ibn Battouta international airport or port and get to know the cultural, historic and the stunning city of Tangier in the extreme northwest of Africa.
• Check into your accommodation and enjoy the afternoon to relax and recover from your journey.
• You will receive insight into the city’s history and heritage from your guide/driver.
• Depending on your flight arrival & if time permits, explore the sites of Tangier and its surroundings including the old Medina, complete with its craftsmanship shops and the magnificent Minaret. Visit Cap Spartel (where the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts meet) and from where you will observe exceptional views of both the strait of Gibraltar and the Atlantic Ocean. Explore the Kasbah district and the legendary archaeological Cave of Hercules.
• Greek Legend alleges that when Hercules (God of war & power in ancient Greek mythology) was in need of a place to rest between two of his labors, he swam across the Strait of Gibraltar and ripped the cave from the side of the cliff with his hands creating a huge shape of the African continent.
• You will have the opportunity to pass by the Grand Socco, where multiple small hotels have previously accommodated famous artists and writers such as Henri Matisse, Camille Saint Saens and Paul Bowles.
• You will then be transported to your Riad/Hotel for your first night. (Overnight in Tangier).
Day 2: Tangier » Chefchaouen :
• On the 2nd day of your 5 days Fes & Chefchaouen tour from Tangier, after breakfast, you travel into the stunning Rif Mountains to the blue pearl city of Chefchaouen. Embark on a private guided tour of the exotic and vibrant blue city, exploring in-depth, the rich cultural heritage, and antiquity of this charming town and stroll the blue narrow alleys with your Grand Morocco expert local guide.
• Known as the blue pearl and ranked sixth of the most beautiful cities of the world. Chefchaouen is an artsy, blue washed mountain village which was founded in the 15th century and was populated by Jewish and Muslim refugees fleeing from the Spanish Inquisition in 1478.
• You will be enchanted to learn of the rich heritage and visit architectural treasures such as Ras el-Maa, the Kasbah Museum, the Spanish Mosque, Plaza Uta-Hammam and more.
• Chefchaouen was isolated until early 20th century but has preserved a Moorish way of life and is regarded as the prettiest town in Morocco. Chefchaouen presents glorious photo opportunities and walking here will make you feel as though moving through a dreamland. A beautiful town you will admire while on your Chefchaouen tour from Tangier.
• The town buildings are painted blue and white, so the entire village appears to be wonderfully drenched in many hues of glorious blue leaving the traveler with a surreal impression. (Overnight in Chefchaouen).
Day 3: Chefchaouen to Fes via Volubilis & Meknes :
• On the 3th day of your Fes & Chefchaouen tour from Tangier and after leaving the beautiful Chefchaouen, you will head south via the stunning Rif Mountains towards the Roman ruins of Volubilis, where you will undertake a guided walking visit of the ruins.
• Morocco has one of the richest histories and cultures globally, influenced by centuries of diverse rulers which includes Roman rule. Explore the ancient Roman city of Volubilis. Dating back to 3rd century BC, Volubilis is home to some of the most impressive Roman ruins in North Africa.
• During Roman occupation of Morocco, Volubilis was the powerful ancient capital and administrative centre of Roman Africa and prospered economically. Among the most famous of the ruins are the luxury villas with their water tanks, large courtyard beautiful mosaic floors, various pavilions, Basilica, Triumphal Arch built in 217 A.D and more than 300 temples. Volubilis was UNESCO World Heritage listed in 1997.
• Depart to the Imperial city of Meknes. Visit the 18th century Bab Mansour gate which is the most exquisite of its kind in North Africa and one of the 4 most beautiful gates in the world, Lahdim square, the incredible Bassin Souani and the Royal stables. Film makers have marveled at this amazing structure, which led to scenes for the movies Ishtar, The Jewel of the Nile being filmed here.
• Visit Moulay Ismail’s shrine (Sultan of Morocco from 1672–1727) to receive an insight into his interesting life and everlasting achievements.
• Continue your journey to the ancient and vibrant UNESCO listed Imperial city of Fes. This city is a north eastern Imperial Moroccan city referred to as The Mecca of the West or The Athens of Africa, also being the country’s capital of knowledge and culture.
• Fes is renowned for its exciting and colourful Fes El Bali walled Medina, its medieval Marinid architecture, vibrant souks and old world atmosphere and charm. (Overnight in Fes).
Day 4: Sightseeing guided day tour of Fes :
• Today, after a tasty Moroccan breakfast in your charming Riad, you will begin a full day Heritage guided tour of Fes, with your expert Grand Morocco local guide. (Walking tour with some transportation between sites).
• Begin with a visit to the 12th century “Bab Boujloud” or “blue gate” with its stunning blue and green ceramics.
• Visit the largest royal palace in Morocco, Dar el Makhzen, exhibiting its seven golden doors and marvel at its wonderful golden gate, made of marble, copper and glorious mosaics.
• Stroll through the Mellah or Jewish quarter of old Moroccan Jewish heritage, built near the Royal residence for protection in 1438.
• Experience the panoramic view of the city from Borj Sud, an ancient fortress on a hill, from where you can view the UNESCO listed ancient Medina of Fes.
• Visit the amazing pottery factory and observe how the unique pottery of Fes is made with its intricate mosaics, which adorn half of Morocco, a stunning place you will admire while on your Fes & Chefchaouen tour from Tangier.
• Visit the 14th century Madrasa Bou Inania religious school and be delighted by the Marinid architecture.
• Discover the holy school and historic University of Al-Qarawiyyin, the world’s oldest educational institution, i.e. University, as stated by UNESCO and the Guinness World Records. Founded by a woman, Fatima al-Fihir in 859 AD.
• Visit the famous 11th century iconic Chouara tannery, the oldest leather tannery in the world.
• Explore the narrow streets lined with shops selling fresh fruits, spices, intricately woven Berber carpets, silk weavers and numerous other art and craft items from Morocco, a must-do while on your Fes & Chefchaouen tour from Tangier.
• Lunch in an authentic restaurant in the Medina of Fes. (Lunch included).
• Visit Madrasa Al-Attarine, Nejjarine Museum, Moulay Idriss Mausoleum (founder of Fes).
• While negotiating the narrow alley-ways, your local guide will instruct you about Moroccan history, culture and the Moroccan Berber way of life, especially around Fes. (Overnight in Fes).
Day 5: Airport Transfer :
After breakfast, we will collect you from your accommodation and transfer you to Fès Saïss airport or Mohammed V international airport in Casablanca, for your on-ward flight. Now ends your 5 days Fes & Chefchaouen tour from Tangier.
NOTE: We recommend arriving at the airport 3 hours before your departure time, as the airport can get very busy.
What is included
in this 5 days Fes and Chefchaouen tour from Tangier
- Travel in a private air-conditioned 4WD or Minivan, with a professional, licenced English speaking driver/guide.
- Airport/Port Pick up and drop off.
- 5 Days / 4 Nights accommodation with Breakfast while on tour.
- Professional local guides in Chefchaouen, Meknes, Volubilis & Fes.
- Lunch in Fes (Day 4).
- WiFi hotspot in the car + 2 bottles of water each per day druing your 5 days Fes and Chefchaouen tour from Tangier.
- All taxes and fees.
What is not included
in this 5 days Fes and Chefchaouen tour from Tangier
- Travel insurance.
- Flight ticket.
- Meals not noted as included in this 5 days fes and chefchaouen tour from tangier.
- Snacks, drinks and incidentals.
- Hotel services, such as room service or laundry service.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal expenses.