Discover the secrets of Sahara desert on this 3 Days desert tour from Marrakech with a camel trek, overnight stay in a starry Sahara desert camp, visit nomads, gorges, valleys, kasbahs, oases and more
This 3 Days desert tour from Marrakech, will take you over the great High Atlas Mountains and through the Tizi n’Tichka pass to the charming ‘Hollywood of Africa’ city of Ouarzazate and the UNESCO famous Ksar Ait Benhaddou.
Discover the UNESCO protected Oasis of Skoura and pass through amazing gorges, Berber mud villages, reaching the Sahara stunning dunes of Erg Chebbi. Visit a nomad family, share a cup of tea with them and discover their lifestyle.
Spend a spectacular overnight in a Berber desert camp under the milky way stars and witness the beauty of the Draa Valley and the stunning Anti Atlas mountains.
This 3 days desert tour from Marrakech to Sahara offers a taste of Morocco, from mountains, gorges, valleys to Sahara, with many interesting stops along the way. The highlight of this tour is a thrilling and unique overnight stay in a Berber Sahara desert camp and a camel trek along the shimmering sand dunes of south Morocco.
“ Please click on each section below so that the details of each day of this 3 days desert tour from Marrakech will appear ”
Day 1: Marrakech » Ksar Ait Benhaddou » Rose valley » Dades valley :
• After breakfast, your Grand Morocco English speaking Guide/Driver will pick you up from your accommodation, to embark on a 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech. You will begin the journey through the dramatic landscape of the High Atlas Mountains, passing through the mountainous Berber villages and over the 2,260 M altitude, Tizi n Tichka Pass.
• In the High Atlas Mountains, you will stop for a short visit to a women’s Cooperative, to observe the production of the world famous Argan Oil. This will enrich your minds more re this wonderful and treasured Argan tree, which grows only in Morocco and has many benefits. The Argan tree is registered as Bio-patrimony Heritage by UNESCO.
• Driving down from the High Atlas Mountains, you will be enchanted by the spectacular scenery of mud-brick villages and green valleys en route to the famous earthen fortified, Ksar Ait Ben Haddou. One of the most eye-catching filming locations in Africa.
• There will be a stop for a walking visit to explore the 17th century UNESCO World Heritage site of Ksar Ait Benhaddou, listed in 1987. This Ksar or village is one of the most intriguing of the red earth castles lining the ancient road of the camel caravans and it is the oldest mud village in Morocco. It was once a commercial hub for trans Saharan caravan traders and has been the back-drop for many international movies, such as Gladiator, Game of Thrones, Prince of Persia, Indiana Jones, Kingdom of Heaven and many more. A beautiful place you will admire while on your 3 days desert tour from Marrakech.
• After lunch, you will drive to Ouarzazate city, known as the “Hollywood of Africa” and the gateway to the Sahara Desert. It was a former caravan town on the silk and salt route in the eastern foothills of the High Atlas Mountains. There may be an opportunity for photo stops and visiting one of the many ‘Atlas’ cinema studios.
• Continue through the “Road of the thousand Kasbahs”, the iconic Berber mud brick villages and earth castles to the Oasis of Skoura. This oasis is UNESCO protected and is famous for its numerous Majestic Kasbahs and here, you will stop to visit the iconic 17th century Kasbah of Amridil, an ancient fortification providing visitors a glimpse into life in rural southern Morocco.
• Amridil Kasbah was founded over 300 years ago and is largely unchanged today. It is one of the living museums of Morocco and is the ancestral home of the Nasiri family. The present generation of the family live on site, have a museum of ancient Moroccan artifacts as part of the Kasbah. In ancient times camel caravans of gold, spice, slaves, salt and other cargo off-loaded in Skoura, after many weeks trekking across the desert from several sub Saharan countries e.g. Mali, Senegal, Ghana and sudan…
• From here, you journey through the stunning valley of roses in Kelaat Mgouna. This town is known as the Rose Capital for the famous Damaskina roses, also known for the annual festival during the rose harvest in May each year, when Miss Rose of Morocco is chosen.
• Continuing your 3 days desert tour from Marrakech, you journey towards one of the most beautiful valleys in the Kingdom and enjoy colourful Berber mud villages overlooking the amazing Dades Valley. Here there is a stop to discover the amazing rock formations, known as “monkey toes” or sometimes monkey fingers. These extraordinary rock formations are metamorphic rock, which has been severely eroded by rain, water, wind and possibly sand storms over thousands of years.
• The Dades valley prides itself for the extensive production of wall nuts, groves of palm and almond trees. It was the site of ancient nomad crossroads and the valley is dotted with oases and mud brick Kasbahs which gives the region its fairy tale nickname. (Overnight in Dades Valley).
Day 2: Dades valley » Todgha Gorges » Sahara Desert :
• On the 2nd day of the 3 days desert tour from Marrakech and after breakfast in your accommodation, you depart the spectacular Dades valley, and move on towards Tinghir, where there will be a deviation to a minor road following the river of Todgha Gorge. Contemplate the scenic panoramic views of the old Jewish and Berber mud villages, overlooking the valley. Some time at leisure, to enjoy the immensity of the huge red cliffs of 400 M, where many international rock climbers come to enjoy their preferred sport.
• The Todgha Gorge is recognised worldwide for being one of the most spectacular rocky canyons. No wonder this place has been used for filming many movies due to its magnificent natural setting, one of the most famous movies being the “Mummy”.
• In this area, lives a large community of Berber nomads. Sometimes, you can sight Berber nomad women, who have Berber tattoos on their faces. They may be seen herding their goats to drink water at the river’s edge and collecting their own water which is carried by their mules back to the caves where they live. (a visit to a nomad family might be possible).
• After lunch, you will continue the trip to Erfoud, known as the capital for dates(fruit) and a global entity for fossil stones, famous for amazing fossil beds and Paleozoic Strata, where ancient ‘Trilobite’ fossils are found, 505 – 570 million years old. An intriguing visit to a fossil museum is possible where you will witness some of the ancient specimens (Ask your guide).
• Continue travel to the eminent sand dunes of Erg Chebbi and experience the glory of the Sahara Desert. Erg Chebbi is regarded as the gateway to the Grand African Sahara where some dunes are considered the highest in north Africa at 350 M elevation.
• Meet your Camel caravan and the experienced camel man, who will guide your trek to explore the mysterious Sahara sand sea, an alluring and unique trek that will make your 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech a memorable experience.
• Enjoy a charming sunset over the Erg Chebbi dunes and spend the night in a Berber desert camp. The evening will include dinner, followed by entertainment around the campfire, listening to traditional Berber drum music, having the experience of a lifetime under the milky way stars. This will captivate your heart and soul, not for a night but forever. “Sand boarding is available in the camp”. (Overnight in Sahara Desert).
Day 3: Sahara desert » Rissani » Draa valley » Anti Atlas » Marrakech :
• Before sunrise, on waking, you may climb the sand dunes for a fantastic view of the amazing sunrise in the Sahara Desert, followed by a typical traditional Berber breakfast. You will then take the camel ride back through the shimmering dunes to the main road where you will meet your guide and vehicle to begin the way back to Marrakech with a new adventures.
• On the way you will visit Rissani town or Sijilmassa, which is the foundation region of the Alaouite dynasty, the current ruling Royal family, founded by Sultan Moulay Ali Sherif and ruled Morocco from 1631 to 1636. Many women are veiled and men hooded, which is very traditional in this very traditional Moroccan town. Rissani is also famous for dates, markets, and it was a starting point for the ancient trading caravans crossing the Sahara desert to Timbuktu in Mali, between the 3rd to 16th centuries.
• Your 3 days desert tour from Marrakech journey will continue, driving towards Alnif, Tazarine, Nkob and Agdz villags to enjoy the sightseeing of the Anti Atlas Mountains and the fascinating Draa Valley which exhibits hundreds of Berber mud Kasbahs. It is the longest valley and river system in the Kingdom, the river being 1,100 Km long from the high Atlas to the Atlantic Ocean.
• The Draa Valley is a stunningly splendid Oasis, home to Berber villages along the Draa River. The valley comprises of sand dunes, river, fertile green plains, snow capped Atlas mountains (in view), and avenues of majestic palm trees. In ancient times, the Draa river meandered west to the Atlantic coast. The area has thousands of years of history. You will be enthralled by the amazing beauty of the timeless landscapes and winding roads through Berber villages, full of wonder and mystique. This is the true picture of the “Grand South” of this uniquely resplendent Kingdom of Morocco.
• So, you will travel on to Marrakech, through the famous Tizi n Tichka Pass over the High Atlas Mountains. The mountain range has snow covered peaks most of the year.
• You will be delivered to your accommodation in Marrakech, as your epic 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech journey ends.
What is included
in this 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech
- Travel in a private air-conditioned 4WD or Minivan, with a professional, licenced English speaking driver/guide.
- Pick up / drop off from and to your Hotel or Riad in Marrakech.
- 3 days / 2 nights accommodation (with Breakfast & Dinner while on tour) in 3*, 4* or luxury Riads/Hotels as you request.
- Camel ride in the Sahara desert and overnight stay in a Desert camp.
- Sand boarding and ATV Quad Bikes (optional).
- Turbant (head wear) each for the camel trek in the desert.
- WiFi Hotspot in the car + 2 bottles of water each per day during this 3 days desert tour from Marrakech.
- All taxes and fees for this 3 days desert tour from Marrakech.
What is not included
in this 3 days Desert tour from Marrakech
- Travel insurance.
- Flight ticket.
- Snacks, drinks and incidentals during this 3 days desert tour from Marrakech.
- Hotel services, such as room service or laundry service.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal expenses during this 3 days desert tour from Marrakech.