Discover the secrets of Sahara desert on this 3 days with a camel trek, overnight stay in a starry Sahara desert camp, visit nomads, gorges, valleys, kasbahs, oases and more
This 3 Days Marrakech to Fes desert tour, will take you over the great High Atlas Mountains and through the Tizi n’Tichka pass to the charming city of Ouarzazate known as the Hollywood of Africa and the UNESCO famous Ksar Ait Benhaddou. Discover the UNESCO protected oasis of Skoura and Amridil Kasbah, passing through amazing gorges, Berber mud villages before reaching the spectacular Sahara Desert. Spend an enchanting overnight in a Berber desert camp under the milky way stars.
Visit a nomad family, share a cup of tea with them and discover their lifestyle. Be in awe of the Middle Atlas Cedar forests, Barbary Apes and the largest oasis in Morocco in the picturesque Ziz Valley. Journey through Ifrane known as “The Little Switzerland”, an Alpine-like town on the way to the vibrant Imperial city of Fez.
This 3 day tour offers a taste of Morocco, from mountains, gorges, valleys to Sahara, with many interesting stops along the way. The highlight of this tour is an incredible overnight in a Sahara desert camp and a camel trek along the shimmering sand dunes of Sahara.
Day 1: Marrakech » Ksar Ait Benhaddou » Rose valley » Dades valley :
• After breakfast, your Grand Morocco English speaking Guide/Driver will pick you up from your accommodation in Marrakech, to embark on a 3 days from Marrakech to Fes Desert tour. You will begin the journey through the dramatic landscape of the High Atlas Mountains, passing through the mountainous Berber villages and over the 2,260 M altitude, Tizi n Tichka Pass.
• In the High Atlas Mountains, you will stop for a short visit to a women’s Cooperative for the production of the world famous Argan oil and where you will observe the oil making process. This will enrich your minds more about this wonderful treasured Argan Tree, which has many benefits and which grows only in Morocco. The Argan tree is registered as Bio-patrimony Heritage by UNESCO.
• Driving down from the High Atlas Mountains, you will be enchanted by the spectacular scenery of mud-brick villages and green valleys en route to the famous earthen fortified city of Ksar Ait Ben Haddou. One of the most eye-catching filming locations in Africa.
• There will be a stop for a walking visit to explore the 17th century UNESCO World Heritage site of Ksar Ait Benhaddou, listed in 1987. This Ksar or village is one of the most intriguing of the red earth castles lining the ancient road of the camel caravans and it is the oldest mud village in Morocco. It was once a commercial hub for trans Saharan caravan traders and has been the back-drop for many international movies, such as Gladiator, Game of Thrones, Prince of Persia, Indiana Jones, Kingdom of Heaven and many more.
• After lunch, you will drive to Ouarzazate city, known as the “Hollywood of Africa” and the gateway to the Sahara Desert. It was a former caravan town on the silk and salt route in the eastern foothills of the High Atlas Mountains. There may be an opportunity for photo stops and for visiting one of the many cinema studios, as we visit this city.
• Continue through the “Road of the thousand Kasbahs”, the iconic Berber mud brick villages and earth castles to the Oasis of Skoura. This oasis is UNESCO protected and is famous for its numerous Majestic Kasbahs and here, you will stop to visit the iconic 17th century Amridil Kasbah, an ancient fortification providing visitors a glimpse into life in rural southern Morocco.
• Amridil Kasbah was founded over 300 years ago and is largely unchanged today. It is one of the living museums of Morocco and is the ancestral home of the Nasiri family. The present generation of the family live on site, have a museum of ancient Moroccan artifacts as part of the Kasbah. In ancient times camel caravans of gold, spice, slaves, salt and other cargo off-loaded in Skoura, after many weeks trekking across the desert from several sub Saharan countries e.g. Mali, Senegal, Ghana and sudan…
• From here, you journey through the stunning valley of roses in Kelaat Mgouna. This town is known as the Rose Capital for the famous Damaskina roses, also known for the annual festival during the rose harvest in May each year, when Miss Rose of Morocco is chosen.
• Continuing your Marrakech to Fes Desert tour, you journey towards one of the most beautiful valleys in the Kingdom and enjoy colourful Berber mud villages overlooking the amazing Dades Valley. Here there is a stop to discover the amazing rock formations, known as “monkey toes” or sometimes monkey fingers. These extraordinary rock formations are metamorphic rock, which has been severely eroded by rain, water, wind and possibly sand storms over thousands of years.
• The Dades valley prides itself for the extensive production of wall nuts, groves of palm and almond trees. It was the site of ancient nomad crossroads and the valley is dotted with oases and mud brick Kasbahs which gives the region its fairy tale nickname. (Overnight in Dades Valley).
Day 2: Dades valley » Todgha Gorges » Sahara Desert :
• On the 2nd day of your Marrakech to Fes sahara tour and after breakfast in your accommodation, you depart the spectacular Dades valley, and move on towards Tinghir, where there will be a deviation to a minor road following the river of Todgha Gorge. Contemplate the scenic panoramic views of the old Jewish and Berber mud villages, overlooking the valley. Some time at leisure, to enjoy the immensity of the huge red cliffs of 400 M, where many international rock climbers come to enjoy their preferred sport.
• The Todgha Gorge is recognised worldwide for being one of the most spectacular rocky canyons. No wonder this place has been used for filming many movies due to its magnificent natural setting, one of the most famous movies being the “Mummy”.
• In this area, lives a large community of Berber nomads. Sometimes, you can sight Berber nomad women, who have Berber tattoos on their faces. They may be seen herding their goats to drink water at the river’s edge and collecting their own water which is carried by their mules back to the caves where they live. (a visit to a nomad family might be possible).
• After lunch, you will continue the trip to Erfoud, known as the capital for dates(fruit) and a global entity for fossil stones, famous for amazing fossil beds and Paleozoic Strata, where ancient ‘Trilobite’ fossils are found, 505 – 570 million years old. An intriguing visit to a fossil museum is possible where you will witness some of the ancient specimens (Ask your guide).
• Continue travel to the eminent sand dunes of Erg Chebbi and experience the glory of the Sahara Desert. Erg Chebbi is regarded as the gateway to the Grand African Sahara where some dunes are considered the highest in north Africa at 350 M elevation.
• Meet your Camel caravan and the experienced camel man, who will guide your trek to explore the mysterious Sahara sand sea, an alluring and unique trek that will make your Marrakech to Fes Desert tour a memorable experience.
• Enjoy a charming sunset over the Erg Chebbi dunes and spend the night in a Berber desert camp. The evening will include dinner, followed by entertainment around the campfire, listening to traditional Berber drum music, having the experience of a lifetime under the milky way stars. This will captivate your heart and soul, not for a night but forever. “Sand boarding is available in the camp”. (Overnight in Sahara Desert).
Day 3: Sahara Desert » Ziz valley » Middle Atlas » Ifrane » Fes :
• Before sunrise, on waking, you may climb the sand dunes for a fantastic view of the amazing sunrise in the Sahara Desert, followed by a typical traditional Berber breakfast. You will then take the camel ride back through the shimmering dunes to the main road where you will meet your guide and vehicle to start your journey to Fes.
• Leaving the Sahara on the 3rd day of your desert tour, you will drive through Erfoud and make a stop in the impressive Ziz Valley Oasis, the largest oasis in Morocco, consisting of 18 species of date palms, totaling approximately 1 million palm trees and observe a dense canopy of palms between ancient striated cliffs dating back to the Jurassic period.
• Stop in Zayda town for lunch and enjoy a Moroccan tajine or some fresh barbeque.
• Stop at the largest Cedar forest in Africa, in the Middle Atlas region, altitude 1,278 M, to witness the sublime views of Cork and Cedar forests. You may be able to glimpse and feed the Barbary Macaque Apes in their Cedar forest habitat and hopefully observe their antics. This species of macaque found only in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco and Algeria along with a small population in Gibraltar.
• Travel to Ifrane known as the Little Switzerland of Morocco and stop for a break to enjoy its marvelous landscapes.
• Here in Ifrane, you will become aware that this magical mountain town is one of the most beautiful cities in Morocco and features in the top 10 cleanest cities of the world. A beautiful place you will admire while on your 3 Days Marrakech to Fes desert tour.
• Ifrane is known for its mountainous terrain, altitudes to 1,664 M, and cold winter temperatures, -24 degrees C, measured in 1935, the lowest temperature in Africa. Skiing is a popular winter sport in Ifrane, it’s charms never ceases to amaze its visitors with the calm waves of its lakes, and the waterfalls pouring cold waters into the green valleys.
• Then on to your final destination, the amazing city of Fes. This city is a north eastern Imperial Moroccan city referred to as The Mecca of the West or The Athens of Africa which radiates a unique aura and which will take you back to the Middle Ages. This UNESCO heritage imperial city is the custodian of 13 centuries of Moroccan history. It is the cultural and spiritual capital of Morocco, owing to many mosques, ancient religious schools, historic gardens, fortified walls, gates, palaces, squares and souks, left by the fingerprints of successive states and races from Berbers, Arabs, Andalusians and Jews.
• You will be delivered to your accommodation in Fes, as your epic 3 days Desert tour journey ends.
What is included
- Travel in a private air-conditioned 4WD or Minivan, with a professional, licenced English speaking guide/driver.
- WiFi Hotspot in the car + 2 bottles of water each per day.
- Pick up & drop off from and to your accommodation in Marrakech/Fes.
- 3 days / 2 nights accommodation with Breakfast & Dinner while on tour.
- Turbant (head wear) each for the camel trek in Sahara.
- Overnight stay in a Desert camp and camel trek.
- Dinner & Breakfast in the Desert camp.
- Sand Boarding in Sahara (optional).
- All taxes and fees for this Marrakech to Fes desert tour.
What is not included
- Travel insurance.
- Flight ticket.
- Snacks, drinks and incidentals.
- Hotel services, such as room service or laundry service.
- Tips and gratuities during this Marrakech to Fes desert tour.
- Personal expenses.
Get in Touch
Book your 3 days Marrakech to Fes Desert tour
3 days Marrakech to Fes Desert tour
Please Note : This 3 days desert tour from Marrakech to Fes itinerary is customised by Grand Morocco LLC. “If our set itineraries do not match what you are looking for, please Contact us and we will tailor-make an itinerary to suite your requirements”.